Student Project Groups
For technical experience, there are many great Engineering projects on campus, working on a full gamut of complex machines, from satellites to airplanes to automobiles to submersibles. Student projects are a great way to start applying the skills and principles you’ve learned to something tangible. Several projects with heavy engineering components are profiled below.
The University of Alberta’s Aero Heavy Lift Group (Aero HLG) is a group of undergraduate and graduate students that annually design a remote controlled aircraft for the international Aero SAE competition. Aero HLG completes a full design cycle every year and then contends with universities from around the world. From conceptual design to 3D modelling to fabrication, Aero HLG does it all. The aircraft designed by Aero HLG competes in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International Aero Design competition sponsored by companies such as Lockheed Martin, SolidWorks, and Boeing. Last year Aero HLG competed in the 2016 SAE Aero Design West Competition in Van Nuys, California. This year Aero HLG has a new goal of sending two aircraft to completion, a regular class and micro class plane. There is plenty of work to be done from improving the aerodynamic and mechanical design of the plane, to advancing the instrumentation and electronics, anyone can help and everyone is welcome. So if you are interested in aerodynamics, the structural airframe, or flight controls of an aircraft, this club is for you. There are many other ways to get involved with Aero HLG. We have sponsorship and outreach sections, need for the creation of graphics and promotional items, and much much more. Lastly, check out our micro competition! It is open to everyone and is a great way to get to know some people around the club and get some hands on experience. For more information, check out our website at aero.ualbertasvp.ca or contact us at email@example.com!
OFFICE: Student Vehicle Project Room in ETLC (End of Student Club Hallway)
OFFICE: Vehicle Project Clubs Room (2nd Floor ETLC)
TWITTER: @ARVP _Robotics
OFFICE: ETLC E2-040A
OFFICE ETLC E2-040K
OFFICE: ETLC E2-040A
FACEBOOK: University of Alberta GNCTR (/UofAGNCTR)
OFFICE: ETLC E4-010
- Annual Networking Super Session (NSS)- a semi-formal, multi-disciplinary networking session designed to link students with engineering management, executives and professional engineers in industry.
- ECE Tech Elective night – Professors from various ECE specializations present a brief outline of the program electives they teach to assist you in choosing your electives.
- Women in Engineering (WIE) Night – a social event with valuable information regarding the advancement of careers for all students.
- Microprocessor Group (MPG) – a pilot series of tutorials designed to give students practical engineering experience in embedded systems.
- Tech Talks/Tutorials – hosting a multitude of technical presentations and hands-on learning opportunities based on student demand and ideas (submit yours to us today!)
If you would like to know more about us, and all the great perks of volunteering, stop by our office or send an email and don’t forget to attend our AGM in September! Getting involved with the IEEE Student Branch will expose you to a range of invaluable opportunities that you won’t find anywhere else.
OFFICE ETLC E2-040N
Here are some benefits that will dazzle you into joining the University of Alberta SPIE Student Chapter:
– Meet new people and get involved with a student group.
– Opportunity to work on exciting engineering projects with a strong focus on
optics and optoelectronics.
– Get club funding for self-initiated team projects.
– SPIE Club Room Access
– Involvement in group activities, events, projects, lab tours, and guest lectures.
– Opportunities to attend international SPIE conferences in San Francisco and San
-Various SPIE International Member Benefits such as scholarships, grants, and
access to digital libraries.
Drop by the club room if you’re interested in joining, have any questions, or just need someone to tag along with you to RATT!
OFFICE: ETLC E2-040L